Table of Contents
- RNS-510 – European model – with firmware version
- Windows XP/Vista/7 or higher (32-Bit/64-Bit),
Mac OS X 10.6 or higher, Unix/Linux (32-Bit/64-Bit);
- Java installed, version 1.7 or higher (for MacOS X, the recommended version is 1.8);
- A valid ISO image file (ISO9660) with the maps (see supported versions above);
- An SD or SDHC Card, 8 GB minimum, FAT32 formatted. Use full format, default allocation size and give the card a name when formatting;
- A normal blank CD+R/DVD+R needed for the firmware that will effectively copy the maps from the SD Card to HDD;
- MapsTool v3
|Version||Western Europe||Eastern Europe|
Unsupported working Maps
Australia & New Zeeland
- Check that you have the correct Java version installed by typing
java -versionin a console window;
- Start the tool and select a valid maps ISO file;
- Select the destination folder;
- Press the Build button, wait for the build to finish and then check the destination folder;
- Copy the files from the destination folder to an SD Card (except for the
- Burn a CD/DVD with the generated
- Go to your vehicle insert the SD Card, the CD/DVD, restart the RNS-510 unit in the Software Upgrade Mode and proceed with the installation.
Copy the maps from SD Card to RNS-510 unit
In this example we will copy the maps version V15,
CD_8515 – Western Europe, 2017 maps from SD Card to your RNS-510 unit.
⚠️ Make sure you meet the requirements before continuing
Step 1 - On your computer
- Start MapsTool, select a valid maps ISO (in the Maps Info tab you can check the selected maps details). In this step we assume that the selected file name is
CD_8515.iso(can be any name, this is just an example);
Select the destination folder.
⚠️ You can select directly the SD Card but in this case, please note that the build process might take a lot longer, depending on the SD Card speed;
Press Build button and wait for the build process to finish;
When the build is complete, you will find in the destination folder the following folders and files:
Item Type Info
folder Contains maps index file
folder Full maps content
file Test sound file
file MapsTool firmware image
welcome.mp3to your SD Card. If at previous step 2 you have selected the SD Card as the destination, you can skip this step;
Insert a blank CD/DVD and burn the
EU_sd_to_hdd_fw.isoISO using the slowest burn speed available (recommended 2x speed and Track-at-Once method).
Take the SD Card and the MapsTool firmware CD/DVD to your vehicle.
Step 2 - On the RNS-510 unit of your car
⚠️ Make sure the engine is OFF and the key is NOT in the ignition
- Power on the unit and insert the SD Card into it. Make sure you can hear the short
welcome.mp3playing – that means the SD Card is OK;
- Restart the unit in Software Upgrade Mode by pressing
SETUP + EJECT + MIC (INFO)buttons;
- Wait ~20 seconds and insert the burned firmware CD/DVD –
EU_sd_to_hdd_fw.iso– into the RNS-510 unit;
- The unit will restart and will display a message about the upgrade/copy process. Confirm upgrade and wait;
The unit will start to copy the maps from the SD Card to the HDD. Usually this takes ~30 min;
ℹ️ The copy process displays all the time 31% complete, so don’t panic, just wait ~30 min. If something goes wrong, see the troubleshooting section.
When the copy is complete, the unit will restart and display a success message. After that, it will eject the firmware DVD and the new maps will be available on your unit;
Make a small donation to show your appreciation for the tool and support further development (optional).
|What media should I use for the ||Some people manage to use MapsTool firmware with a CD-R/CD+R. Other only with a DVD-R/DVD+R. Try with both until you succeed.|
|What is the minimum RNS-510 version?||The new maps (ex.: versions V13, V14 and V15 for Europe) require 3 partitions on the RNS-510 unit’s HDD. Make sure your unit has at least firmware version |
|What is the recommended RNS-510 version?||The recommended version is firmware version |
|I have a DVD with ||No. You can reuse your |
|(1) Restart the unit and retry the copy process. (2) If the unit does not start or displays errors or the same message again, use the RNS-510 – Software Recovery CD then try MapsTool again.|
|(1) Use a good quality DVD+R/DVD-R (avoid CD or RW media) and burn it at slowest speeds possible (1x or 2x) using Track-at-Once method. Activate the verification of the disc after burn. (2) Restart the unit and retry the copy process. (3) If the unit does not start or displays errors, use the RNS-510 – Software Recovery CD then try MapsTool again.|
|(1) Restart the unit and retry the copy process. Make sure that your car battery is fully charged. (2) Use the RNS-510 – Software Recovery CD then try MapsTool again.|
|(1) When copying from the SD Card, sometimes the unit has trouble copying all the files. To fix this, when the RNS-510 unit restarts and displays the |
Please Insert the Navigation DVDmessage, insert the original (dual layer) navigation DVD into the unit as suggested. If you don’t have it, you will need to burn the maps ISO file to a dual layer DVD. Leave it in the unit for maximum 5 minutes. The unit will copy the missing files (should not take more than a few minutes) and will inform you that you can safely remove the DVD when done. (2) Sometimes, reinstalling the exact same firmware that you have on your RNS-510 unit will also fix this issue. (3) Some people had success by installing the
For any other problems and further questions, please use the RNS-510 forums.
- RNS-510 MapsTool forums thread
- All available firmware for RNS-510
- RNS-510 - Software Recovery CD
- The Official ImgBurn Website (Windows)
⚠️ USE THIS TOOL AT YOUR OWN RISK!
MapsTool is a workaround. The proper way to install the maps is to use the original dual layer DVD.